- Little Owl perched on his usual branch of the nest site tree at 4pm (DEH)
- I couldn't count the swifts, there were so many. At times it felt like Daphne du Maurier/Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds" - I was almost swatting them away like mosquitos! They were flying at knee-height at times, and several times I had to duck out of their way.
- Small birds wisely keeping under cover in cold wind - heard several Wrens, Chiffchaffs, robins and blackbird but didn't see them.
- This is what I did see: Mute swan (1), Canada geese (lots, including a pair on the bank of the angling lake with 6 cygnets huddled together - except that one moved and turned out to be a rabbit!), Greylag Geese - about 6 on the sailing club slipway, Great crested grebes (3 on sailing lake), Mallards, Coots, Moorhens, Tufted ducks, Wood pigeons, Collared dove (1), Stock dove (2), Blue tit (1), Great tit (1), Greenfinch (1 - others heard), Chaffinch (3 - others heard), Magpie (2), Carrion crow (3), Pied wagtail (7), Swift, Whitethroat (1 - several more singing) (MSevoir)
Hainault Forest CP:
- Hobby showing well over the farmers market at 2pm (DEH)
Ilford, Cranbrook Road:
- Do you get carrion pigeons? There were 3 feral pigeons feeding on the remains of a squashed squirrel in Cranbrook Road this morning! (MSevoir)
- pair of Great Crested Grebe, still sitting on nest (boating lake)
- 3 juvenlie birds all initially seen in or around the nest, then later seen fishing
- pair of Mute Swans still with all 8 cuygnets on the boating lake, additional pair (with none) on the fish pond, Canada Geese, 1 hybrid Greylag Goose, 1 male Egyptian Goose
- Black Headed Gull,
- Mallard, Tufted Duck, Coot, Moorhen,
- Feral pigeon, Woodpigeon, 2 Stock Dove grazing on melbourne field with Woodpigeons, 2 Collared Dove
- 14 Swift low over the boating lake
- 6 Great Spotted Woodpeckers: 4 active & calling along the Cranbrook Cut. 2 more feeding a "singing tree" in the Plantation, at least 2 chicks! Elsewhere many singletons. Come to Valentines Park for Great Spotted Woodpeckers! also 2 Green Woodpeckers
- Grey Wagtail Seen in the first outflow from the Boating Lake (Cranbrook Rd end), then flew towards the contractors compound.
- Wren (many singing), Robin with 2 juvenlies, 1 Song Thrush, Blakcbirds, several Mistle Thrush,
- 4 Blackcap in the Dell (2male, 2female)
- Great Tit, Blue Tit, Starling, 8 House Sparrow, Magpie, Carrion Crow, Chaffinch, 2 singing male Greenfinch (Mike Condon)
- 3 Cormorant (yay!),
- 6 Carrion Crow, Blackbird, Song Thrush, Robin,
- Green Woodpecker,
- Meadow Pipit,
- Coot, Little Grebe, Canada Goose, Mallard,
- c.100 frenzied Swift (over Alex), and when it was too dark for the Swift, 4 Noctule Bats (thanks TH for the ID) superb! (Nick Croft).