- BTO garden bird survey between 11am to 12pm as follows:
- 1 Coal tit - seen at 11.34am feeding back & forth for roughly 50 minutes or so
- 1 Goldcrest - seen at 11.55am briefly flying from our tree.
- 4 Blue tits, 2 Great tits, 2 Goldfinches, 10 Greenfinches, 11 House Sparrows, 1 Chaffinch, 1 Robin, 6 Feral Pigeons
- Plus in late afternoon:
- 6 Swallows seen over at 4.34pm flying through feeding.
- 2 Male Great Spotted Woodpeckers in garden feeding.
- 1 Magpie, 1 Woodpigeon
- Also 2 x Pipistrelle Bats seen from back bedroom window at 6.45pm feeding between our garden & neighbours gardens. (Alan Thomas)
- Buzzard hunting over the field east of Hainault Road, 4pm
- put up a small group of 7 or 8 Skylark
- 2 Fieldfare with a small starling party at the roundabout (Hainault Road/Forest Road)
- Had a flock of about 40 Jackdaw over the garden 9am calling and heading west. (Barbara J)
Roding Valley Park, south:
- South Woodford stretch, no sign of Kingfisher today, but 2 Grey Wagtails on the river (PGordon)
- Was sitting in the garden this afternoon with family - lots of sparrows feeding as usual - when there was a commotion and a Sparrowhawk went straight into the bush/tree that lots of the sparrows were in. see pic in post above (PGordon)
- 7.30-9.30am Weather: Overcast, Wind 060*/07KT 010V080 , Misty 3100m, Cloud BR OVC012///, Temp +13*, DP +13*, RH 100%, Qnh1011, ground hard but wet with dew
- 3 Little Grebe, and 2 adult Great Crested Grebe on the boating lake (no sign of the youngsta), also 3 Cormorant present
- 1 Grey Heron on the fish pond
- 11 Mute Swan, additional pair still on the fish pond, pr with 7 of their young on the boating lake, (8th cygnet either hiding, or moved on?)
- 7 Greylag Geese: 1 hybrid in the park, skein of 6 going over the park
- Canada Geese.
- 5 Egyptian Geese: A pair in the Great Cedar Tree, another pair grazing, and the singleton arround the boating lake
- 1 eclipse male Shoveler (boating lake), Mallard, Tufted Duck, Coot, Moorhen
- Black Headed Gulls
- Woodpigeons, Feral Pigeons, 1 Stock Dove, 2 Collared Dove
- 1 Green Woodpecker
- 6 Pied Wagtail playing cricket, 2 Grey Wagtail (1 on Cranbrook Cut, the other on the southern outfall of the boating lake
- 5 Mistle Thrush, Blackbird, Robin, Wren,
- 3 Goldcrest on or around the great cedar tree presenting well for 4 mins
- 1 Coal Tit moving along with a mixed Tit flock (Blue Tit, Great Tit, 7 Long tailed Tit)
- 1 Jay, Magpie, Carrion Crow, Starling, 7 House Sparrow on the Brisbane Road hedges, 6 Chaffinch, 2m and 1f Greenfinch, 4 adult Goldfinch (Mike Condon)
- m Ring Ouzel near Long Wood,
- migration: 300+ Redwing, 50 Song Thrush (largest group 11 together),
- 4 Brambling South, 43 Chaffinch, 5 Lesser Redpoll, 5 Siskin,
- 2 Swallow, 11 Pied Wagtail east, Several Skylark south combined with residents around 20.
- Also 3 Goldcrest, 2 Coal Tit, 4 Chiffchaff, 2 Stonechat, 4 Linnet, 55 Jackdaw, 40 Long-tailed Tit, 12 Dunnock + usuals (S Fisher)